SAINT JOSAPHATA ORATORY
The Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate first came to America in 1935 to minister in the Philadelphia Eparchy and soon established a community in Sloatsburg, New York. The Sisters purchased the Tavern Rock Estate from Mrs. William Hamilton in 1941. There, they began running a boarding school for young women and founded an annual pilgrimage. A grotto designed in the style of Lourdes was built on the grounds of the estate, followed by the Stations of the Cross and the Blessed Josaphata Oratory in 2008.
Our studio was commissioned to design and construct an oratory dedicated to Saint Josaphata, the foundress of the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate. By utilizing the existing stone walls, our design was able to maintaine a connection between past and present and provide a space of prayer and reflections.