Saint John the Baptist
St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Orthodox Church was founded in February 1926 by Theodore Kovatz, Nick Ther and Michael Kost. Together, the three men launched a door-to-door campaign seeking membership and donations. They managed to recruit close to forty families and in July of 1926 a charter for the new church was obtained.
Our studio was commissioned to design and install a mosaic on the exterior facade of the church above the main entrance. The mosaic is composed entirely out of smalti, over 250,000 pieces, and measures approximately 12'x36'. The mosaic depicts the Theophany Icon showing the Baptism of Our Lord Jesus Christ.